This robust full-text database provides the most relevant information on thousands of authors and their works across literary disciplines and timeframes—to give students, teachers and librarians a complete foundation of literary reference works to meet any and all of their research or instructional needs.
In addition to all of the content in Literary Reference Center, Literary Reference Center Plus includes full-text resources focusing on plays/drama, poetry, religious literature, and children's literature. This database also includes volumes of fantasy/science fiction, contemporary literature, world philosophy and religious literature, and literary study guides covering American Literature, English Literature, and literary genres.
Updated weekly, Literary Reference Center Plus contains the following unique content:
- Nearly 35,000 additional full-text poems
- Nearly 1,500 additional full-text literary reference books/works
New contemporary literature titles from Salem Press, including...
- Critical Survey of Shakespeare’s Sonnets that provides historical context and analysis for 25 of the Bard's sonnets
- Introduction to Literary Context series that introduces students to great works of literature, providing historical context and illuminating key concepts and vocabulary
- Nearly 300 additional full-text literary journals and magazines — including AGNI, Black Warrior Review, Five Points, Paris Review, River Teeth, Subtropics and Witness — featuring thousands of essays, fiction and poetry
- More than 600 full-text periodicals with examples of various writing styles and techniques
- More than 100 unique Critical Insights volumes
- 34 interactive literary study guides
- Continuum Encyclopedia of American Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of British Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of Children's Literature, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, and The Columbia Companion to the 20th Century American Short Story
School Curriculum Support
Available via EBSCOhost, Explora, or its own dedicated interface, Literary Reference Center Plus contains a collection of informational texts on numerous literary genres, themes, and forms, as well as critical essays on specific works and authors. Students can also find helpful research guides, a citation tool, and a literary glossary.
With more than 30 interactive study guides, students can explore novels and plays by American and British writers and understand the characteristics of different genres and various techniques used by writers. Study guides are available for Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Macbeth, Hamlet, Lord of the Flies, The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby, as well as, “Irony, Parody, and Satire” and “Novels and Short Stories.”
In addition, the Introduction to Literary Context series helps teachers guide students through literary works such as The Cask of Amontillado, Frankenstein, The Bell Jar and Heart of Darkness.
Literary Reference Center Plus also features dozens of lesson plans and a link to EBSCO's Curriculum Standards Module, a tool that can help teachers in the U.S. and Canada to correlate EBSCO content quickly and easily to Common Core, state- or province-specific curriculum standards. The module provides browsing of specific benchmarks, many which have recommended search strings for successful content retrieval.