MARC Records Available Read More...
MARC 21 records for the Digital Archives collections, created by the information provider, are available free of charge to our customers. These high-quality title or collection level records conform to established national standards, including Library of Congress Name Authorities and Subject Headings, and provide enhanced multiple access points. The records include persistent URLs that provide links directly to each title in the collection. MARC 21 Records are available for this archival collection and can be accessed by a customer via their EBSCO ADMIN account. For questions or issues, please contact email@example.com.
- Yearbooks and annuals
- Tax lists
- Elite blue books
- Vital records
- Burial lists
- Biographical dictionaries
- Land development and internal improvements over time
- Travel routes
- Locations of government buildings, churches and schools
- Concentrations of wealth and poverty
- Spread of disease
During the “Long 19th Century,” New York City was the focal point in North America for industry, trade, commerce and immigration. Gateway to North America is a unique collection of historical directories, member lists and other name-rich sources from the New-York Historical Society (N-YHS), and features materials that track individuals and organizations over time and place.
Gateway to North America contains over 800,000 pages of content from over 1,500 print and manuscript directories, member lists, travel guides and other sources, chronicling the people and organizations of New York City from the late 18th through the early 20th century. It is an invaluable resource for scholars, students, researchers and educators alike.
New Enhancements – Fall 2015
Click here to learn more.
Significant changes have been made to the functionality and data presentation within the archive for enhanced discoverability and an improved end-user experience.
- Enhanced Discoverability – Publication level results with item level table of contents accessible from the viewer
- Enhanced Title Search – Results contain only unique publications related to the keywords
- New Indexing and Facets – Newly added facets and indexing, created by subject matter experts at New-York Historical Society, are available to refine searches
- Updated MARC records – MARC records include updated/additional subjects and access points
Content Highlights Include:
- Residential, trade and occupational directories
- Membership lists for professional groups, philanthropic and governmental institutions,
ethnic organizations, religious groups and leisure clubs
- Names and physical descriptions of Civil War deserters and the incarcerated
- Illustrated advertisements
- Commercial listings by trade
- Descriptions of local philanthropic, religious and governmental institutions
- Travel schedules
- Postal and tax rates
- Town histories